Tuesday, July 9, 2013

If you can lose weight, why choose surgery?

Different doctors have different ideas on a pre-op diet.  The reason for a pre-op diet is to shrink the liver to make surgery easier.  I know a lot of doctors have you eat your normal diet and then two weeks before surgery you go on a liquid diet. My doctor doesn't do it this way.  When you start the program, you are asked to lose 5% of your body weight before surgery.  You are placed on a restricted calorie diet, usually under 1200 calories a day.  In addition to various classes you are required to attend, you meet with a dietician who helps you adjust your diet. You are also asked to start changing your habits.  No straws or carbonation. The air bubbles can expand your new stomach.  No drinks with meals. Your new stomach is so small that you need all the room for fuel.  Limit caffeine.  Caffeine dehydrates you. Getting enough water will be a challenge with your new stomach.  Eat high protein, low carb, low fat.

I've already been doing most of these, but I found that 1200 calories is a lot less than you think.  I started using a calorie tracker app.  It was a big shock to me.

So if I can lose weight on a diet, why choose surgery?  Well, first of all, did you catch that 1200 calories is a lot less than you think?  I can sustain dieting this way for a short period of time and lose 20 or 30 lbs., but than either I hit a plateau or a holiday or party or something.  As soon as I eat more than 1500 calories a day, I gain weight.  Before choosing surgery, I thought back on my dieting life.  The only time I have lost weight is at 1200 calories.  If I eat 1500 calories, I maintain.  More than that, I gain.  I can't seem to exercise enough for it to change my calorie count, although I am sure that if I exercised less I would gain.  The only time I can really eat whatever I want is when I am at Disney and walking about 10 miles a day.  See, I should just move there and life would be perfect!  Once I hit a plateau or other event and my calories go above 1500, I gain.  If you are a chronic dieter, you know that 1500 isn't a whole lot either.  This is why Weight Watchers and other programs haven't worked out for me.  Once I lose my weight, the surgery will still keep me at low calories which will help me not gain it back.

I think each person needs to learn to listen to their body and find what works for them.  Some bodies do well vegetarian.  Some of us need more protein.  How many calories does your body need?  What kinds of exercise do you like?  Really all of us need to figure out what works and what we can sustain.  If I need protein, becoming a raw vegan may not be my best option.  Yes, I've tried that too!

I have met several people who have had weight loss surgery and have had a hard time with it.  Some have been successfull, but feel like if they learned what their body needed before surgery, they could have lost weight without it.  Some have not been successful because the waited until after surgery to change their lifestyle and found they couldn't sustain it.

I went to the doctor yesterday and was up 2#.  Truthfully, I can lose or gain 2# in water a day.  I was frustrated because the doctor questioned my committment to the program and I had to defend myself, but really, don't I want a doctor who will make sure I am ready for this huge lifestyle change?

No comments:

Post a Comment