Friday, June 7, 2013

Choosing bariatric surgery

After many, many years of eating healthy eating, exercising, and trying every diet plan in history, I've decided to have a bariatric sleeve operation.  I was always hesitant to do surgery. I fully supported other people choosing to have the surgery, but for me it felt like admitting defeat. It felt like I would be saying that I don't have enough willpower or knowledge. If only I tried harder, I would find the perfect combination to losing weight.

A few months ago, I was talking to my endocrinologist (I have diabetes, an under active thyroid, and a gluten allergy) about having trouble losing weight.  I told them that I really didn't want to have surgery. They told me that they were having great success in the surgery putting diabetes in remission.  A few weeks after that, I was seeing a new primary care physician.  We were having a similar conversation and she told me that losing weight would be very difficult for me with my conditions and that if I ever did decide on surgery, one of the best surgeons in the country is in my suburb. So... The journey started.

My surgeon is very strict.  There are a bunch of diet and exercise classes and support groups you must attend along with a psychiatric evaluation and extensive bloodwork. You also need to lose 5% of your body weight to make the surgery and recovery easier.  This process has helped me learn a lot about myself.

While at a bookstore today, I learned that there really aren't any guides for this out there.  A quick internet search only came up with a couple of blogs.  Hopefully, I can help other people by sharing my journey.  Buckle up and join me as I share my thoughts, recipes, and other musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment