Sunday, December 1, 2013

Defining your happy

What do we all really want out of life?  The usual answer is health and happiness, but what does that mean? 

A few years ago, I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life.  My kids were getting older and were in school later.  I love my part time job, but should I be working more?  Did I want to keep being primarily a mom or should I develop a career?  In my daily devotional, there was an exercise in imagining your perfect life.  It was probably one of the most important exercises I've done.  I sat down and imagined my perfect life with the career I was considering.  What were the highlights?  What was the impact on my family?  Then I imagined my life with taking care of the family as my primary goal.  What would be the cost to my self-esteem?  I ultimately decided to keep my part time job and focus on family.

Once I realized how important this tool was, I started using it to make all kinds of decisions.  Every couple of months or so, I sit down and let my imagination go wild.  What is my perfect life?  What is my idea of a perfect family, perfect marriage, perfect job? 

How can we move toward what makes us happy if we don't even know what happy looks like for us?  I invite you to go ahead and dream your wildest dreams.  Write them down if that helps you.  Spend some time with yourself and figure out what will make your heart sing and your spirit soar.  From there you can build a roadmap that will get you to your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment