Monday, September 21, 2009

but I don't feeel like it (whine)

Let's face it. Some days we just can't muster the energy to be reflective. Some days we have a dark cloud following us. Should we just throw in the towel and wallow? Maybe. I think that it is okay to not be all sunshine all the time. The trick is to remain grateful through our bad mood and to not let a day or so of moodiness stretch out to a few weeks.

I like to think of the moodiness as a time to recharge. Generally we are many things to many people and frankly, sometimes it is exhausting. If you find resentment creeping in, it is important to recognize you need a break before it becomes a full out melt down temper tantrum. Maybe it is time to claim a bad mood and lock yourself in your room with a good book or sappy movie. Let everyone fend for themselves for a couple of hours. I find that if I take the time to let the negative emotions flow through me, they generally don't hang around for too long. If I try to stop the flow, it festers until I am mad and frustrated with everything. We need to be realistic. We are human and that includes good moods and bad.

The one caveat I have is to not wallow too deep. To try to acknowledge even the slightest things to be grateful for. Some nights I find myself just saying, "Thank you" over and over again until something to be thankful for pops into my head. Without fail, something always pops into my head. Even in the deepest dark, there is some light. I find that if I focus on that light, the light always comes back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment